Rear wheel removal

Discussion in 'Indian Chieftain' started by Jim Beck, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Jim Beck

Jim Beck
    Expand Collapse

has anyone had to take the back tyre off yet?

2. Rob

Rob
    Expand Collapse

The noise is deafening in here!

3. crash

crash
    Expand Collapse

I don't think too many have ventured this far just yet.

Jim Beck likes this.
  4. crash

crash
    Expand Collapse

I have heard that if you don't get the elastic band adjusted correctly it will howl like a banshee (although in some cases I think it howls anyway) and you would not want the service team to suggest that it was done incorrectly. I guess this is what may be stopping people from messing with it whilst it is under warranty.

5. SRA

SRA
    Expand Collapse

I didn't realise the RM had a back wheel, I don't think I've ever seen it. I'll check in the morning.

Jim Beck likes this.
  6. crash

crash
    Expand Collapse

I am pretty sure it's in there. come to think of it.......... not sure that I have seen it either.

7. Jim Beck

Jim Beck
    Expand Collapse

My question was asked as i wonder what you do if you get a flat tyre and there isnt a bike shop around... I am guessing most tyre shops wont want to touch it so if you do a lot of miles away from bike shops i think its prudent to be aware of how to get it out from where it resides

8. GAZMAN

GAZMAN
    Expand Collapse

The only time my back wheel has come off is when the dealership put a new set of tyre on it, there is a pin in the rear swing arm that they release to drop the wheel down enough to take it off but not to sure how it work may need to ask your Indian mechanic.

9. crash

crash
    Expand Collapse

Absolutely understand the question and why you would ask it. If you have to get the tyre repaired you want to make sure that the wrench knows what they are doing (and help if necessary). I suspect that this would be a task that would require a significant jack to lift the machine high enough to pass the back wheel from under the guard (recognising that if you took the back wheel off you would need a jack so I did not fall over :)). You would have to wonder whether the regular wrench would have facilities - I suppose would have to just "do the best" if you were away from a M/C shop.

Jim Beck likes this.