New rider to Indian bikes

Discussion in 'General Discussion - Bike Related' started by Stu Evans, May 25, 2019.

1. Stu Evans

Stu Evans
    Expand Collapse

Ive had a few bikes in the past mainly jap ones when i was younger, bought a Fatboy a couple of years ago but going to upgrade to a Cheiftan Darkhorse.
    What stage upgrades would you suggest, im looking at a stage 2 straight up, i like to be able to hear the note.
    Would you suggest buying in Melbourne or interstate like NSW, can you get better service from different dealers.
    Im 6'2 or 188 cms im a bit worried the screen will still cause buffeting, any thoughts?

2. Stu Evans

Stu Evans
    Expand Collapse

Anyone got any thoughts on Stage one pipes as opposed to Stage 2?
    Im looking at stage one for a better sound, or should i just suck it up and go stage 2?

3. Dave

Dave
    Expand Collapse

Hi Stu
    I've been riding mine stock for a while to make up my mind what I need and research the best solution. The stock sound isn't too bad, but I've decided on Freedom true dual exhaust system with a free flow K&N air filter. The power vison tuner has been recommended and then get her dyno'd and remapped. All up, about $3,500. I've heard mixed reports about the factory cam upgrade (stage 2) as they tend to just give them that Harley sound at idle without a lot of other benefits, and without a proper dyno tune they'll never be quite right. Sydney and Melbourne dealers are both factory owned, the rest are private dealerships, I think? I dealt with Sydney and found them to be OK.

Stu Evans likes this.
  4. Twodogs

Twodogs
    Expand Collapse

Stage 1: slip-ons, air cleaner and cpu flash.
    Stage 2: cams and cpu flash
    Stage 3: 116 - cams, pistons, new cylinders/heads and cpu flash.
    There is also Lloyd’s 121 kit
    Instead of indian stage 2 cams you can go with Lloyd’s cams (2 different types)
    It just depends on how much you are prepared to spend. I’m a cheap bastard so stage 1 air cleaner and flash, de-plugged standard mufflers and de-cat. I’m considering to have the Lloyds cams installed some time in the future.

Stu Evans likes this.
  5. Stu Evans

Stu Evans
    Expand Collapse

Hi Dave
    Ive had a HD, and prefer a tourer, but dont want to get just a stock bike and end up thinking **** i would like something extra.
    Its hard when there is only one dealer in the city (melb) im not climatised to city riding for tests, and yourself has helped in what to have added

6. Stu Evans

Stu Evans
    Expand Collapse

Excuse my noob question but a cpu flash is like a different chip much the same as cars can change?

7. Stu Evans

Stu Evans
    Expand Collapse

This may be a dumb question but how do you adjust the rear tyre pressure with panniers

8. Twodogs

Twodogs
    Expand Collapse

Sorry Stu, I don’t frequent this site very often these days.
    I hope you found the answers to your questions.
    CPU flash is done by the shop where they plug their equipment into the cpu and re-write the programming for your bike or you can buy a tuner and buy improved downloads.

I bought a bike lift from REPCO to do my tyre pressures.
    Cheers Greg