What is the best rear tyre option for the Scout - I am over the Pirelli

Discussion in 'Indian Scout' started by Philthy, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Philthy

Philthy
    Expand Collapse

Earlier this year, I saw sense and finally got rid of those awful Kenda tyres and replaced them with Pirelli Nighthawks. I went on a 3000 km trip (all in the dry) and they were perfect. The bike went into the shed for 3 months over winter but came out for the 'Blessing of the Bikes' at Phillip Island and then a week later back to the Island for the MotoGP.
    Something has happened to the rear. It felt like I was riding on jelly. And when it rained, there was absolutely no traction and the rear kept spinning up. The rear has plenty of tread but is downright dangerous... I have gone back to the dealer to ask about this, and they don't want to know me.
    So my question to forum is... what rear tyre is the best option for the Scout (mine is 2015), that will grip in the wet and will grip in the dry?
    Forget the Pirelli's, I would never have another one on the bike ever again.

2. Gary Moreland

Gary Moreland
    Expand Collapse

I am about to replace the OEM Kendas on my 16 Scout. Looking at Avon Cobras (whitewall is the bonus). I would also be interested in any feedback on recommended tyre types - so watching for a reply :)

3. AGS59

AGS59
    Expand Collapse

4. Gary Moreland

Gary Moreland
    Expand Collapse

5. AGS59

AGS59
    Expand Collapse

That's what I've got on my RM Gary, and very happy with them.

Gary Moreland likes this.
  6. Gary Moreland

Gary Moreland
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Tony, cheers.

7. Philthy

Philthy
    Expand Collapse

8. Ozduo

Ozduo
    Expand Collapse

Just put my fifth back tyre on my scout (57K) This is my third Bridgestone Excedra max. a great tyre for all round use. They wear pretty fast (I got 12.5k from my last one) and I wouldn't recommend them for those for those who live life at the edge but I can ride through those QLD storms without backing off.
    I run the front at 34 the rear at 36 and with my Darkscout suspension I am comfortable on the stock seat from fill to fill.

9. Priceeee

Priceeee
    Expand Collapse

G'day Guys, tyres r very much buy 'n try. Shedding the Kendas at 19k & replacing them with Bridgy Exedras (on the 2nd set of Bridgy's now) was a good move - can also re-affirm Bridgy's life span at between 12 & 15k. However, if the suspension on the Scout has NOT been enhanced I feel / fear the bike will struggle. Another 'learned' point is when choosing a rear tyre a centre tread / groove will provide necessary grip especially when braking (essential when braking on wet-ish / slippery surfaces), Bridgy's tick this box (un-like Commander II's & Pirelli Diablo's) ... :)

10. Jo Bailey

Jo Bailey
    Expand Collapse

good day scout riders
    during my 40 years of riding, I found Michelin to suit me best, they have dual rubber compound and are especially terrific on the wet
    a bit more pricy and soft wear if hard ridden but it is worth it

11. Jo Bailey

Jo Bailey
    Expand Collapse

as far as exhaust, I replaced stage 1 with the bobber slip on and a sport air intake, what a difference that made
    I feel the bike has twice as much power and it is most definitely smoother (but much louder)

12. Jo Bailey

Jo Bailey
    Expand Collapse

Then, I invested in rear gas shockers for a smoother ride
    now I am contemplating changing the front telescopic springs or reverse them for more resistance
    I love my scout

13. Priceeee

Priceeee
    Expand Collapse

Hey Jo, am due for rear shock replacement after the Progressives gave up the ghost at 52k - was thinking of gas shocks. What are they like mate, eg: handling & ride ... cheers :)

14. Laurie Krause

Laurie Krause
    Expand Collapse

I didn't ride a metre on those awful Kenda tyres. I replaced them with Michelin Commander 2's. Good in all road conditions.