OIL CHANGE GRIPE

Discussion in 'Indian Scout' started by Al Curran, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Al Curran

Al Curran
    Expand Collapse

Bought the Scout oil change kit today $80.00 I've got 4000k on the clock and thought I would give her an oil and filter change 1/2 way between services, bad idea.

First obstacle were the sump plugs. The front is a square socket key and the rear a hex socket key. Of course who keep square socket keys, not me.

Next.......... removing the filter....after removing the horn......after removing the plastic radiator cowl. You need a hex head socket key on an extension to get the horn off.

The sump plugs are positioned in just the correct place, so they are hidden by the jack platform....

I think some kind of sadist design these things, phuk it I've put it aside until I get the tools.

2. Darkscout

Darkscout
    Expand Collapse

Yeah takes some planning not the most straightforward of oil changes

3. werewasi

werewasi
    Expand Collapse

I'll be doing this soon so can you tell me if:
    - the sump protection plate needs to be removed to get at the 2 sump plugs. If it does, why can't i just cut out circles in the metal so that can avoid this.
    - does a 1/2 square drive from a socket set drive fit - just wonderin? If not, then i'll get it out with a borrowed driver and replace it with a bolt and washer. While you've got the square one off, can you measure it and post here.

do you think that plate is strong enough to put timber blocks under to jack up the bike.(say for a tyre change)

#3 werewasi, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  4. Roundy

Roundy
    Expand Collapse

I'm a bit of a coward.....would love to take a chair and a six-pack and watch my dealer do it.....and possibly comment on their peformance...

V-Twin likes this.
  5. Gordo

Gordo
    Expand Collapse

Hey Al,

Did the first oil change myself as I needed to get away quickly due to family illness.
    (Quick 1200km round trip)

FMD, seriously I reckon if the designers had video cameras installed in my garage they'd have a full version of Aussie swearing.

My KTM's are a piece of piss, but oil and filters cost twice as much.

Relocated the horn, found a bracket in with my manual and bought a filter clamp.

Should be apples next time.

Lesson learn the first time round.

6. Gordo

Gordo
    Expand Collapse

Sorry guys,

Almost forgot, don't have the bike upright when filling, IT WILL OVERFLOW!
    3 full bottles and 12ounces.

Start her up, run for 2 minutes,sit for 5, then stand her upright, top up to suit.

7. Mony

Mony
    Expand Collapse

I found a k and n supplement filter for the scout and also a full synthetic oil. Mca Penrith have both a long and short version of the same thread and style filter. I modified the horn mount ( bent it) slightly so the larger filter would fit. Now for the same price as 1 oil change I get at least 2 for cost of parts only. I will search for the filter number tomorrow if anyone wants it.

8. Al Curran

Al Curran
    Expand Collapse

OIL FILTERS: Did some researching on these.

The Scout Filter "Polaris #2520799" also fits 4 POLARIS ATVs. I found them on the Polaris Web Site

I then checked Ryco filters and they have on that cross-references to RYCO FILTER #RMZ119 it fits the Polaris Ranger 400.

Its a regular motortcycle filter that fits Honda Yamaha Kawasaki and Triumph.

Anyone done any searching for alternative filters.

OILS; My handbook says to use 15W 60 synthetic. Contacted Penrite and to there credit sent me some substantial info. They have a MC4-ST 10W60 full synthetic. Supercheap stock it.

Any opinions?

Has anyone tried oils other than the Indian stuff. If so what were the results in terms of gear changes.

Terry Forbes likes this.
  9. werewasi

werewasi
    Expand Collapse

10. werewasi

werewasi
    Expand Collapse

Mony's post above is 3 yrs old but is relevant to what i need to know.

OIL FILTER - Repco and Gibbos both say that the RYCO 132 is the filter for the Scout (2016)

Has anyone tried one?

Any other choices available in AUS.

11. srd0060

srd0060
    Expand Collapse

I’m using HIFLO HF199 they seem ok $10 - $15 and Penrite oil

12. Priceeee

Priceeee
    Expand Collapse

Hey Guys, had a 2015 Scout from new & changed eng oil every 4k in between dealer 8k servicings. Not sure if there is any need to change oil filter at 4k intervals (leave it to the dealer :)). Al, u mentioned one of yr sump plugs has a square drive key - not sure what's goin' on there mate as my 2015 model sumps r both 6mm hex head drive & would imagine all Scout sump plugs would b like this. Is there any scope to change one or the other plug out so they're both the same ??? :)