Fuel range for my Scout

Discussion in 'Indian Scout' started by Ozduo, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Priceeee

Priceeee
    Expand Collapse

G'day Gibbo / All. Have often thought about a bigger fuel tank as well, even 15 ltr would do (which would provide a 'run dry' range of at least 300km). Surf'n thru these forums a while back revealed a Scout rider in SA that has had a 20 ltr tank custom made which gives a range of 450km - have seen pics & it looks great (sorry mate but can't recall where this info is :-(). Now don't get too excited as also recall the cost of the tank was $3k + (inc of great art work) - one can buy a lot of juice for that, but it is tempting :).

On another Scout topic, a mate bought a new Scout a few months back from Adelaide Motor Cycles. On his first venture discovered the bike surged at various speeds (inc cruise 100 to 140km/h), most annoying !! Took it back to the dealer & received blank looks :-(. Sourced local knowledge & a dyno session revealed the motor was running so lean it would have been detrimental to engine life let alone performance - after adjustments were made the difference was chalk 'n cheese - also looking into a K & N air filter which would also assist engine breathe capacity.

Also scoping new rubber - went to the dealer (ADL M/C) but they seemed 'a lot' dis-interested to assist which is pretty poor considering local country based types are only too keen to provide quality service !!

Just a quick Q Gibbo, how's the new Indian dealer over the west ?

Gibbo likes this.
  2. Gibbo

Gibbo
    Expand Collapse

G'day Priceee
    Thanks for the reply. The shop over here is great Aaron and his staff are really good. They go the extra mile. They are looking into a few options like will a tank from another model ie darkhorse or something to see if their tank will fit. I can't fault them. They were a lot more helpful than Harley I can say that much

Tensapphires and nooscout like this.
  3. Iandian

Iandian
    Expand Collapse

I recently put on Avon Cobras from GC motorcycles on Main North road at Medindie, very happy with the service and the tyres

nooscout likes this.
  4. nooscout

nooscout
    Expand Collapse

Replaced the Kenda Indian tyres last month at 22,400ks, with Michelin Commander lls. Handling and steering improved out of sight. Total cost $475 incl fitting by Gold Coast Motorcycle Tyres at Mermaid Beach.
    Brisbane Indian reflashed my CPU at 18,000ks which fixed the surging that occurred when rolling off or on the throttle, it has made riding so much easier and safer.
    This also improved my fuel milage by 0.25l/100km. I am now constantly getting over 250ks before the fuel light comes on. With still approx 1.5 litres left in the tank.
    Now all I need is to get my crap suspension working and I'll be a happy camper.
    I have sent Darkscout an email to see if he can help me set up my Ikon shocks and fork springs. I purchased them in June 2015, before he had developed his setup.

5. Ozduo

Ozduo
    Expand Collapse

Got my best ever fuel result last week, the reserve light came on at 231klm.
    I have fitted the S&S air filter (love the noise she makes when I open the throttle) a power commander and had a dyno.
    I now have a lot more grunt down low and I can leave my baby in a much higher gear or I can open her up and leave everyone behind while gulping fuel.
    So my fuel economy depends on the day and whether I can control my urges, the rush usually wins.

Qld 60 and Tensapphires like this.
  6. Mony

Mony
    Expand Collapse

This is an old thread but since I put pipes and pc5 on the scout I get around 180 max and that's a stretch. I don't ride it softly but mix it up with cruising and punching it.
    I've looked into the tanka and I think a side mount intake kit with key relocation would free up underneath the tank for a few litres at least.

7. Tensapphires

Tensapphires
    Expand Collapse

Hey there. Which exhaust did you go with?

8. Tensapphires

Tensapphires
    Expand Collapse

Last weekend I went into Gasoline Alley Gold Coast...never again! Rude p£%€ks. I would be interested to hear ideas of bigger tank. I get about 370kms on my Hornet and used to get over 500km on my old CB...so looking for fuel at 190kms isnt my cup of tea.

9. Priceeee

Priceeee
    Expand Collapse

G'day All - Doesn't seem to be much 'news' around in regards to a bigger tank for Scouts except for biting the bullet & spending big $$'s on a complete new tank. News around town is 'watch this space' for new models of Indians in the coming 12 months, hopefully Injun will take on board feedback about Scout tanks being on the small side & manufacture future models with bigger tank capacity & even more hopefully (if this is the case) a new model tank will fit to an older model Scout .................. what r the chances (or am I Indian dream'n ?).
    On a recent trip to Perth visited the Indian shop in Canningvale, gets a 10 out of 10 from me, great showroom with heaps of accessories & knowledgeable 2 legged types. Took the missus along & $1,800 later her backside was firmly positioned behind & above mine. First trip 2-up didn't really affect fuel range with the idiot light coming on at 240km, which was pleasing. Overall assessment of 2-up on the Scout has been fairly successful, altho further beefing up the rear (already have progressive shocks) is on the radar. Safe & happy riding Guys.

Tensapphires likes this.
  10. hawkestar

hawkestar
    Expand Collapse

what about if you retune it with bassinni 2 into one and the power commander upgrade, I'm thinking that this beast is hot rodded up and wont get anywhere near the 200km limit you guys are mentioning

Tensapphires likes this.
  11. Mony

Mony
    Expand Collapse

I've ran out of fuel on the scout at 220ks. That was babied everywhere. Kept 5 litres in a can to make it to the service station.
    It had emgo slip ons. That is all.
    With the pc5 and slip ons it's gets max 180 maybe a little more as the fuel light comes on.
    There's no way I can see bikes with exhausts and tune getting over 200 unless they have nothing but flat country road in 6th driving like grandma's.
    Even with the stock exhaust it was getting 220ks.
    Stuff the fuel economy. Ride it like you stole it.

Tensapphires and hawkestar like this.
  12. Tensapphires

Tensapphires
    Expand Collapse

I had a loaner for a weekend. It determined my choice for purchase. The loaner had stage 2 exhaust but was otherwise standard. Fuel light came on at 220km. I filled up and it took 10.6 Litres. It was not ridden hard as I was adjusting to cruiser from naked sports bike riding..very different ride. Lol. Took some adjusting. Definitely had some nice twisties in the ride. I havent taken mine to the fuel light yet but I got 180km recently without the light coming on. (FYI...my Hornet 900 gets 380km to the tank) Argh!!!! It frustrates me ..how can we go on a long ride in a group if we have to think of fuel all the time. So damned frustrating!!!!!

13. Tensapphires

Tensapphires
    Expand Collapse

My Hornet has occasionally on a long run made the 395km... and sometimes she is ridden on flat ground.. I am a granny...but I sure dont ride like one. Lol.

14. mark60

mark60
    Expand Collapse

I usually get 200 k and up to 225k ,and only put up to 10 litres of fuel in the tank. I have around 9000k`s ,running k&n air flitter & Vance's & Hines twin slash pipes . bike sounds great and got heaps of power ,and its a scout 60.

Tensapphires likes this.
  15. Tensapphires

Tensapphires
    Expand Collapse

Indian shop Brisbane (Victory shop) told me iver the weekwnd that it should improve over time and at about 9,000km it will be at thw best fuel range and economy. I sure hope it gets better

16. Qld 60

Qld 60
    Expand Collapse

Hi Mark,
    Our bikes are nearly twins lol.. I have the V&H twin slash and the k&n Filter too and boy what a difference in fuel consumption and throttle response. I recently did a Gold Coast ride including out to Canungra and got 230Kms then only put 10.1 litres in it.In theory that's gotta give me a possible range of about 270 kms
    I am always mindful to top up on rides and only really had a scare once on one of the Indian rides where the corner markers took off so we went the wrong way.With lots of rides you stop about every hour so it really isn't much of a problem but I can see how in rural areas you would want to be careful.

17. Terry Forbes

Terry Forbes
    Expand Collapse

235 when the light came on. I thought "must get fuel soon". another couple of klms and the light goes out so rather than take chances, I pulled into the next servo which was another couple of klms.

18. Priceeee

Priceeee
    Expand Collapse

Hey Guys, did a recent stint ADL - Hay - Mt Isa - 3 ways - DAR then straight down to ADL - longest stretch was Camooweal to Barkley Homestead 275k - fully loaded & with conscience riding (100km/h) we made it :)