Can you apply to much wax to your leather?

Discussion in 'Indian Chief Classic and Vintage' started by DiggerDan, Jan 10, 2016.

1. DiggerDan

DiggerDan
    Expand Collapse

To give you an example, I had just wiped my leather over with a damp cloth then grabbed my wax (effax leather balm) i notice because of the heat it was a little melted but decided to apply it anyway, because it was melted it was more of a liquid then a wax and after a little bit I noticed my leather discolor like when you wash your leather and it soaks up water, so the leather was soaking up the wax. But is these to much wax to apply to leather?

Terry Forbes likes this.
  2. V-Twin

V-Twin
    Expand Collapse

Hard to say without someone having done exactly the same as you. I am assuming you applied a bit and stopped and posted here? Wait until the wax 'dry' or 'settle' and see how it looks? If all good, no half done. If the colour appears darker, maybe wait until wax solidify a bit. Maybe stick it in your freezer for 10 min.

Tony s and Terry Forbes like this.
  3. Takoda

Takoda
    Expand Collapse

I've soaked mine in Effax a few times and it has darkened the leather. I have worried about it as I'd prefer it darker than faded to light cream colour. I plan on cleaning the leather with saddle soap to see if the colour change is permenant discolouration. Not concerned if it is.

Terry Forbes likes this.
  4. Takoda

Takoda
    Expand Collapse

Photo of recent pasting with Effax

Attached Files:

Terry Forbes and crash like this.
  5. V-Twin

V-Twin
    Expand Collapse

Holy smokes Batman! That's very dark. Looks good on black Vintage.

Terry Forbes likes this.
  6. dutch

dutch
    Expand Collapse

i use the effax and you can never put to much on but by saying that there will be more dirt sticking on it but with the effax soap you clean it all and redo your leather again i use it now for nearly 3 years and your leather gets darkerand it is the only product that i will use for my Vintage

Terry Forbes likes this.
  7. Richard Dixon

Richard Dixon
    Expand Collapse

Have been using beeswax and or Dubin on leather goods for 30 + years and use it regularly on the Vintage the bags....
    I used to use a cloth to apply & then wipe over once finished taking excess of with a different cloth....
    However attended a Victorian country expo for farming equipment couple of years ago & came across stand that sold bees wax & they promoted the product with a free boot clean by a nice chatty young lady sitting on tree stump (old shoe shin style) ....
    She massaged the boot with beeswax by hand....while having a chat.
    She informed me the wax is a great hand moisturizer & the heat from the hand was enough to make the wax easier to use and you can really get into the leather....
    Then wipe excess off with a cloth and by boots looked like new ! - instant SALE .....

I have since run out of her product but continued the same application process with my regular supplies....

Yes the leather does get a little darker but in my case only a shade at this stage (2 1/2 years) and I like the colour change...original bags looked a little plastic and new !.

The picture looks like it is 2014 Vintage ? and although I read they had problems with the leather pre 2015 vintage, I like the darker bags with the black bike

Terry Forbes likes this.
  8. Burebista

Burebista
    Expand Collapse

I use the same wax. Is normal for the leather to absorb the wax and also to get darker. In a week or so it will start to revert to original colour. Because of the sun or hot weather the essential oils from the leather keep evaporate and if the leather is not treated it will start to become rigid. So do not worry and keep applying effax when the colour is started to become lighter.
    Personally i prefer the leather a little darker. Enjoy your ride.